Winchester is fast becoming a foodie's mecca…
Rick Steins, The Ivy Brasserie, Raymond Blanc- Brasserie Blanc, Black Rat , Chesil Rectory (voted 3rd most romantic restaurant in UK), Wykeham Arms (voted best town pub in UK), The Plough, Sparsholt (multi award winning country pub)
to name but just a few. Fantastic range of restaurant’s to suit all tastes, budgets and occasions.
Steeped in history
Once the capital of England and the final home of Jane Austin, Winchester is crammed with history around every corner. Explore the medieval streets of Winchester and admire the history of Winchester Cathedral, Wolvesey Castle and Winchester City Mill before strolling along the River Itchen to The Hospital of St Cross.
A selection of walking trails and free maps can be downloaded from the Winchester Tourist Office website - http://www.visitwinchester.co.uk/map
The Arts and Events
- Winchester Christmas Market - Venue for one of the best Christmas markets (http://www.visitwinchester.co.uk/christmas-market) in Europe set in the beautiful cathedral grounds with independent stalls and ice rink
- Winchester Hat Fare - UK’s longest running festival of outdoor arts, set across the historic city of Winchester. (http://www.visitwinchester.co.uk/hat-fair)
- Farmers market - largest in UK, held on first Sunday of each month
- Screen Cinema - enjoy the latest films in the comfort of this stunning converted church, book a couples sofa and you can even order a bottle of wine!
- Winchester Royal Theatre - (http://www.theatreroyalwinchester.co.uk)
To find out the latest on what events are coming to Winchester visit - (What's on - Visit Winchester )